What goes around comes around, yes? Here in the blogosphere that often means passing around the likes blog “awards” to promote and connect with other folks who are also into this whole blogging thing. Recently, I was kindly given two such nods for the same prize, the Liebster Award, from James of Quickly Tap X and Ashley of Robo♥Beat. Many, many thanks are owed to both! If you’re not following them, you totally should be, especially if you like honest and entertaining writing about life and video games. Look, I’ll even link to them again in case you missed them the first time: Quickly Tap X; Robo♥Beat.
This isn’t my first Liebster rodeo, so let’s get on with the rules of said award. First, I must thank the good person or people who nominated me. Done! (Nope, no more links. You’re an adult and should know how this whole Internet thing works by now.).
Second, I am to answer a set of questions proposed by the nominators. In this case, I have two sets, so let’s get to those answers!
Questions from Quickly Tap X:
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Flight. I know it’s clichéd, but having that ability would sooooo help with the work commute. Plus, I like capes.
- Most overrated video game you’ve played?
The Stanley Parable. It’s an interesting diversion of a game, but it was way overhyped.
- Most underrated video game you’ve played?
GTA: Chinatown Wars. I know it rated highly among critics, but I don’t think it ever got the attention among the masses that it deserved. Being a Nintendo DS property probably didn’t help in that regard.
- If you could have any job/career in the world, what would you choose?
An historic clothing conservator. I was headed down that path long ago, until I realized how many more science classes I’d have to take to get the proper degree.
- Who’s your favorite Villain (book, game, TV or film)?
Pennywise. And specifically, Tim Curry as Pennywise in the TV movie IT. Damn if he wasn’t just the worst. And the best.
- Tea or coffee?
Coffee. (What is this “tea” that you speak of?)
- Favorite joke?
Q. What do you get when you cross a rooster and a telephone pole?
A. A 12-foot cock that wants to reach out and touch someone.
- Favorite album of all time?
This changes all the time, but today I’ll say the soundtrack to Labyrinth. (Reminds me that I should do a “desert island” music post someday…)
- If you could only eat one food/meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
And sort of meatless taco salad: chips, salsa, beans, cheese, lettuce. Mmmmm…kinda want one now…
- What’s the best advice you’d give to anybody who’s thinking of starting a blog and/or is just starting out, and/or might be struggling with it all (asking for a friend!)?
Work to find a balance between writing and realism. I know it sounds glib, but honestly, the more you write, the better you’ll become at it, and the more you’ll want to blog. At the same time, you have to be honest to yourself about what you’re able to accomplish. Pace yourself, be true in your writing, and remain grounded. Blogging will follow, and so will your readers.
Questions from Robo♥beat:
- How did you get started blogging?
At the risk of quoting myself:
RoP is my first personal blog, but in 2009, my department at work started a blog, and I became one of its designated writers — this was my first foray into blogging. I found that writing online about specific topics was not so bad. We received a lot of positive feedback, and I thought that maybe, just maybe, I’d start my own blog. Not about me, but about something. Well, I sat on the “my blog” idea for a long time — how it would look, what I’d write about — but never followed through. Then a year ago, that Skyward Sword commercial made a synapse fire the wrong way or something, and that was that. I went to the computer and started typing. And then I went to WordPress because I was familiar with it from work, and…voila! Recollections of Play was born.
- What’s your favorite thing about blogging?
As much as I love writing, I think connecting with other bloggers is what’s made me stick with this for as long as I have. It’s great being part of this community what we have going on here, cultivating it, and watching it evolve and grow.
- What’s your favorite hobby outside of blogging?
Depends on the season. In the spring and summer: gardening. In the fall and winter: knitting and crocheting.
- Favorite movie?
O Brother, Where Art Thou? I just love absolutely everything about it.
- Favorite video game?
Super Metroid, a brilliant classic.
- Game you’ve never finished and why?
So many. But Little Big Planet comes to mind. Years ago I simply couldn’t get past The Bunker level. And then our old PS3 died, and all the LBP save data when with it. It’s back in the backlog now. Someday, maybe, right?
- Star Wars or Star Trek (or both)?
Star Wars, because it was the first movie that ever I saw in the theatre. (Return of the Jedi, that is.)
- DC or Marvel (or both)?
No preference. I grew up with both – from the old Batman and Incredible Hulk TV shows to the Spider-Man and Justice League cartoons of the 80s. I enjoy the superhero genre, no matter the particular universe.
- What’s your greatest gaming accomplishment?
Of the past: getting all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 remains a high point. Of the present: completing Xenoblade Chronicles. Such an amazing beast of a game.
- What’s your current obsession (a TV show, a video game, a topic)?
Saints Row. I completed Saints Row IV earlier this year, and I l-o-v-e-d- it! I’ve been slowly working through Saints Row 2 and hope to complete it and Saints Row the Third. In the meantime, I’ve been regularly watching playthroughs of the original Saints Row. Honestly, if that game had been on my radar instead of the original Mass Effect, my recent gaming past might have taken a very different turn. The Saints Row universe is over-the-top, salaciously wonderful, ridiculously entertaining, and even, at times, mildly heartwrenching. It’s my everything right now.
- Do you have any other social media accounts we can follow?
You can follow me on Twitter or give a like on my Facebook page, but bear in mind that I’m mostly anti-social on social media.
The third part of award this involves nominations, and more questions, in that I must provide my nomiees with a list of questions that they may chose to answer or ignore (this is Murica, after all). As the Liebster Award is all about discovering new blogs, I hereby nominate the following blogs and bloggers that I recently discovered myself.
The Maximum Utmost
The Well-Red Mage
Shiny New Gamer
Gamer’s Home Blog
(no longer) pick3d last
Mr. Panda’s Video Game Reviews
I ❤ Old Games!
Watch Game Read
That Red Panda plays some games
As for my questions, and for the purpose of simply breaking the ice, I’m going to keep things simple and game-centric:
- What game(s) are you currently playing?
- Currently owned consoles or gaming devices?
- Favorite developer of the past or present?
- Who in the games industry, living or not, would you most like to meet?
- Which do you prefer most: multiplayer or single player?
- Have you attended any gaming conventions, or, if not, which ones would you most like to attend?
- What game of the past would you most like to see re-made/re-imagined today?
- Most favorite game character?
- Least favorite game character?
- What one game would you most recommend to new players?
- What one game do you consider a must for any gamer?
My thanks again go out to James and Ashley for sending the Liebster Award my way. Happy blogging (and gaming), one and all!